27 Jan MAC N’ CHESSE WITH AN AZOREAN TASTE
Cold days have definitively arrived! And what’s best than a Mac n’ Cheese with an Azorean taste to warm the soul? 🧀🍝
Here is the recipe 👇
- 16 oz (1 pound) macaroni, small size
- 2,5 oz (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 3 oz (6 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 0,17 oz (1 teaspoon) of salt
- To your taste: cayenne Pepper and ground nutmeg (optional)
- 40 oz (5 cups) of milk (of your choice)
- 8 oz of São Jorge cheese, shredded
- 8 oz of São Miguel cheese, shredded
- 2,5 oz (½ cup) seasoned bread crumbs (garlic & herbs)
1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in a large pot.
2. Add pasta and 0,17 oz of salt and cook, often stirring, until tender (just past al dente) and drain pasta.
3. Melt 2,5 oz (5 tablespoons) of butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
4. Add flour, salt, cayenne and nutmeg.
5. Cook, constantly whisking, until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
7. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, occasionally whisking until thickened, about 7 minutes.
8. Take the pot off the heat, slowly whisk in both cheeses until completely melted.
9. Add pasta to sauce and cook over medium-low heat, constantly stirring, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.
10. Transfer to a broiler-safe baking dish or skillet and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.
11. Broil in the oven until topping is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
12. Allow the casserole to cool for 5 minutes before serving.